Time to hit the books

Ah books; my escape, my confidant, my teacher. How I adore thee. But what usually begins as a relationship of adoration and care more often than not turns into one of frustration and despair come exam time. I often find myself desperately seeking refuge in a Mediterranean cook book, a witty novel or a meticulous biography - anything to distract me from the harsh, neglected words of a textbook. Sigh, if only my love of theory was akin to that of fashion.

During one particularly fierce bout of enmity with Strategic Marketing, my weary eyes were delighted to glimpse a preview of Maison Martin Margiela's newest self-named book. The elusive Belgian designer, as mysterious as his clothes are creative, takes the world on a behind-the-scenes journey of his modest to monumental steadily growing empire. Providing insights of his inspirations and achievements and documenting myriad milestones in his career, this book overflows with lovely images of iconic pieces, memorabilia and backstage beauties. Bound in a rustic muslin covering, the embroidered logo is a tribute to tribute to Margiela's legacy, two clean slates between which a decade of abstract design and radical fashion await.

My time is up, I must now go and seek peace with my neglected textbooks in the hopes that they will be kind enough to see me through finals!

Images from Wallpaper*